What are Removable Partial Dentures?
A removable partial denture is designed specifically to meet the needs of the patient and can replace one or more missing teeth. A natural appearance and speech clarity is restored along with the ability to eat more efficiently.
Partial Denture Types and Materials
Partial dentures are created out of a metal and acrylic composition or completely out of acrylic. A patient’s specific needs and anatomy dictate the design of the partial denture and every effort is made to construct a self-cleansing partial denture that preserves the remaining teeth and oral tissues.
Dr. Mueller will design your partial denture so that the chewing forces are evenly distributed over the entire surface are of the remaining teeth and soft tissues. Changes to your remaining teeth may be recommended to help equalize these forces.
Metal partials are generally preferred as they are structurally superior. They are thinner and more hygienic than an acrylic partial. Acrylic partials are typically used as a transitional or temporary partial. Dr. Mueller will consult with you to determine the appropriate partial for your situation.
Benefits of Partial Dentures
- A removable partial denture may help limit movement of your existing natural teeth.
- They also allow you to better grind and chew food improving digestion.
- Protects the health of oral tissues, and prevent other teeth from drifting into gaps left by missing teeth. When teeth drift, they open spaces where food particles can become trapped, creating bacteria growth and gum disease.
- Restores the comfort of normal chewing, eating, and speech once skewed by tooth loss.
- Improves your appearance and bolsters confidence lost when teeth were missing.